Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Adventures in Quilting - 2018-2019 Block of the Month Club - October 2018 - Block 4



Quilter's Haven 2018-2019 Block of the Month Club - October 2018
Sew Simple Northern Lights Sampler
One Spinning Wheel Block
Three Small Pinwheel Blocks

The first two months included just one large block, the third month included one large and two small, and this month includes one large block and three small ones. You can see kind of how the smaller blocks will work together in each corner of the finished quilt by looking at the completed example to the right of this month's blocks.

Let's get this out in the open first ... I am very apprehensive about this yellow. It is SO bright. It kind
of hurts my eyes a bit to look at it. You may just think it is formatting on the photo, but no. It really is that bright. I am hoping that paired with my lighter, cream background it will be less glaring.

We receive our fabrics and instructions on the third Thursday of each month, so it's only been just under a week since I received the October 2018 set. But, I know that with Halloween quickly followed by a four day trip out of town, my after work time is going to be little and precious. I've really been working hard to finish these early, and I haven't done too badly at it.

My lovely wife who can cut so much straighter than I can helped me cut out my background pieces, so I was able to get started on the little blocks. I have the green one completed using the pop seam technique shown in the video by Adrienne Reid on my last post. It turned out beautifully. I have all of the pieces cut, pressed, and arranged for the fuchsia and red blocks so that I can finish those tonight.

Then, I will just have the larger 15.5" yellow block to complete on Thursday or Friday. We have Halloween in a few days, and we will be hosting an all day game at our house the following weekend, so prep and cleaning have to be top priority. That means that sadly my sewing stuff will have to packed away and moved out of the living room Don't judge! The living room is warmer and has better lighting than my current sewing room setup. I'm working on improving that. The sewing room is a Winter project.

I will post up new images of the finished smaller blocks and the hopefully less of an eye-sore yellow block when I finish those.

I've added a photo to the right of all three of the finished smaller blocks, and I added a picture farther above of the finished larger yellow block. The yellow is still a bit of an eye-sore to me, but I do not dislike it against the cream background as much as against the black background on the class sample.






No comments:

Post a Comment