Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Adventures in Quilting - 2018-2019 Block of the Month Club - June 2019 - Block 12


Quilter's Haven 2018-2019 Block of the Month Club - June 2019
Sew Simple Northern Lights Sampler
One Star Burst Block


The last square was the hardest. Looking at the photo, it doesn't look like it would be that hard. I swear it shouldn't be. I cut out all my pieces. I read through the instructions at least a dozen times. I used my Google-Fu magick to try to find a video illustrating this particular Star Burst block (unsuccessfully). No matter how I turned the pieces, it just wasn't coming out right. I was a stumped.  While searching Google for videos, I happened upon a video for a similar but not as elongated version of the center starburst. The block is called a Sawtooth Star block. The video I found was by Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims from The Quilt Show. They used a really nifty reverse technique to complete the design so that there was less cutting and sewing of individual triangles. It reminds me a lot of how you use Thangles but different in execution. You can watch the video on their YouTube channel here.

It's not exactly like the original, but I thought it gave the same overall design element. I did follow the dimensions given in the video, so the finished central square ended up smaller than what I needed for the finished block to equal our standard 15 1/2 inches. To solve this problem, I added a border around the edge of the center block before adding my trim pieces. I was using small scraps, so I had to really piece areas to be able to complete the design, but I do not think it turned out badly at all. I was so mad at this piece that I was afraid I'd never like it. In the end, I think this square is one of my favorites. I look at it and smile because it reminds me of the Funshine Bear Care Bear that I had as a kid.

I know once I have someone show me how to do the technique for the elongated points on the original inside star, it will all make sense. Until then, I say screw that. I am happy with how this one ended up.

No comments:

Post a Comment