Thursday, July 25, 2019

Adventures in Quilting - 2018-2019 Block of the Month Club - November 2018 - Block 5


Quilter's Haven 2018-2019 Block of the Month Club - November 2018
Sew Simple Northern Lights Sampler
One Friendship Star Block
Three Shoe Fly Blocks

Friendship Star Block
The November blocks went pretty smoothly. No major hiccups. I had already learned the technique for creating the pinwheel centerpiece on the large block when I made the trio of smaller blocks last month. That really was the hardest part. I like how rich the purple looks against the cream background.

I am beginning to see the benefit of using a dark background with the blocks because on the samples it always looks as if the brightly colored shapes are floating on a solid sea of black. That's a really nice affect. I can't quite achieve that using the lighter background because you can see all of the seam lines so much clearer. That's okay though. I think overall I am still going to be much happier with the finished product that I end up versus if I had made it on a black or dark gray.

Those border pieces that are repeated on all of the 15 1/2 inch blocks are getting easier. They were sort of the bane of my project the first couple of months. Now I seem to have that part down so that they turn out right the first time instead of the third or fourth time around.

Shoe Fly Blocks
This month we also completed three of the 6 1/2 inch blocks. The design on those were pretty simple as well. No problems to report. The green one is a bit weird. It's an odd shade of olive green with little gold flecks. We aren't going to be using that color anywhere else in the quilt, and I just find it a bit muted and drab beside all of the other brighter colors. If I dislike it too much by the end, I may switch it for a different color. I have a bag of scraps I have been keeping for my border and any last minute changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment