Friday, July 26, 2019

Adventures in Quilting - 2018-2019 Block of the Month Club - February 2019 - Block 8


Quilter's Haven 2018-2019 Block of the Month Club - February 2019
Sew Simple Northern Lights Sampler
One Flocks of Geese Block
Two Bow Tie Blocks

This month definitely upped the challenge rating for sure! Flying Geese ... so many flying geese. I've never used this particular pattern, and they were a bit tricky for me. 

I have since found a much easier way to make the flying geese sets. Alex Anderson and Ricky Tim from The Quilt Show demonstrate a super easy way to form the design in their tutorial for a Sawtooth Star Block (found here). I will for sure use their method next time this technique is called for. As you can see in the picture, I also sewed one set of corner triangles pointing in the wrong direction. I haven't quite decided which direction I like better. The pattern calls for the orange triangles to point toward the corners (as they are on the bottom half of the block), but I do kinda like the break in color that having them point toward the inside gives the design. I will have to decide which side to fix before I assemble, but for now I will leave it as-is.


The small blocks are called Bow Tie Blocks. They were really simple to put together. Luckily no problems there. I kind of saw them as my reward for making it through the large block this month. I had earned something fast and simple for these little blocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment